13 things to know before you’re drone-ready
The FAA’s newly released rules for the operation of small drones will blow open the doors for working photographers who’ve wanted to use unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) commercially.
The long-awaited regulations are set to take effect in August. Here are 13 things you need to know before operating a small drone as a part of your photography business.
1. Be at least 16 years old
2. Pass a test of aeronautical knowledge
3. Be vetted by the Transportation Safety Administration
4. Less than 55 pounds
5. Must be registered
Operating rules (subject to waiver by the FAA):
6. Class G airspace
7. Keep the aircraft in sight
8. Fly under 400 feet
9. Fly during the day
10. Fly at or below 100 mph
11. Yield right of way to manned aircraft
12. Must not fly over people
13. Must not fly from a moving vehicle
More from the FAA here.